- Hypertension (Dr. Dante Morales);
- Coronary Artery Disease and Atherosclerosis (Dr. Ramon Abarquez Jr.);
- Rheumatic Fever and Rheumatic Heart Disease (Dr. Andres Reyes Jr.);
- Congenital Heart Disease (Dr. Wilberto Lopez);
- Cardiovascular Surgery (Dr. Avenilo Aventura);
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (Dr. Romeo Divinagracia);
- Cardiac Rehabilitation (Dr. Marcelo Esguerra);
- Preventive Cardiology (Dr. Jose Yason);
- Arrhythmias and Cardiac Pacing (Dr. Ramiro De Guia Jr.); and
- Cardiomyopathies and Cor Pulmonale (Dr. Adriano Dela Paz).
Formed in 2005 to address the specific cardiovascular health needs of women, through concerted efforts in the areas of health promotion, disease prevention and treatment, the Council on Women’s Health is the youngest Council of the PHA.
Chair: Cynthia F. de Lara, MD
Founding Chair/Adviser: Esperanza I. Cabral, MD
With the tremendous impact of heart failure to the healthcare system, the Council on Congestive Heart Failure was established in 1997, to improve the care of heart failure patients in the country. Educational programs on congestive heart failure were instituted. Presently, the Council is setting up the mechanics for the establishment of a pilot heart failure clinic, in cooperation with the Heart Failure Society of the Philippines, and the Philippine Heart Center.
Chair : Michael Joseph Agbayani, MD
The Council on Stroke and Peripheral Vascular Disease contributes to the PHA’s mission and vision in the field of cerebrovascular and peripheral vascular diseases. Since its inception in 1989, the Council has conducted continuing medical education activities focused on improving diagnosis and treatment of peripheral vascular diseases. It also holds programs for the public to increase awareness of the different causes and manifestations of peripheral arterial diseases.
Chair: Jenny L. Beltran, MD
Created in 1997, the Council on Cardiac Catheterization and Intervention’s aim is threefold:
-To advance the standards of cardiac catheterization and percutaneous interventions so as to enhance patient care
-To promote excellence in the practice of cardiovascular intervention, and;
-To promote patient education on cardiac catheterization.
It has accomplished registries of different interventions and currently conducts education programs in coordination with the Philippine Society of Cardiac Catheterization and Intervention. The Council also is in the process of standardizing the subspecialty fellowship program in adult interventional cardiology in the different training institutions, and modifying international guidelines on cardiovascular intervention to suit the local setting.
Chair: Eric Oliver D. Sison, MD